Parenting is a tough job, and many parents are very hard on themselves as they try to be the best they can be for their children. A recent study showed that parents, especially mothers, often feel stress and anxiety after the birth of a child out of fear of not being perfect. Having a child with a mental health issue can be especially challenging. If your child already sees a good child psychiatrist, you’ve already taken a great step toward improving the quality of life. Read on for five easy tips for even better parenting.
1. Rationally examine what is working and what isn’t. Be honest about approaches that aren’t working and be willing to change.
2. Listen as much as you talk. They need to know they’re being heard.
3. Attend your children’s sporting events and performances. Sometimes things come up that keep you from being there for your child. But every chance you get, fill the bleachers or the auditorium with love and support.
4. Celebrate milestones, big and small. Don’t be afraid to reward a child for good behavior.
5. Remember: you don’t have to love every minute of parenting, nor do you have to love everything about your child. Parenting is extremely rewarding, but it can also be tiresome.