Personality disorders include a range of mental illnesses that involve long-term patterns of thoughts and behaviors that are unhealthy. These behaviors can cause serious problems with relationships and impede productivity and social interaction at work.
People with personality disorders often have difficulty dealing with normal levels of stress and everyday problems. There are many types of personality disorders, including:
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Dependent personality disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Schizoid personality disorder
The cause of personality disorders is unknown, but both genes and childhood experiences are thought to play a role in the development of such disorders.
The symptoms of each personality disorder are different, and can range from mild to severe. People with personality disorders may have trouble realizing that they have a problem, but help is available for those who seek it. Treatment options for personality disorder usually include talk therapy and/or medication.